Author Topic: Separates 2011/12/30 (Updated to add dry versions)  (Read 8231 times)

Offline Jay Reynolds

• View Profile
Re: Separates 2011/12/30
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »

What's the policy on separates / mix stems regarding effects and other processing - specifically eq, dynamics, & reverb?

Offline Ollie Rankin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Separates 2011/12/30
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »
Good point. I'm about to save out dry versions of all the tracks and upload those, too.

Offline Jay Reynolds

• View Profile
Re: Separates 2011/12/30 (Updated to add dry versions)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »
I can't get any of the tracks to sync in Live for some reason.

Just doing this:  start live -> create 5 audio tracks -> drag dry files of drums, 3 bass parts, and main vox and align all at bar 1.

I'll try in Reaper just in case (maybe Live is trying to be clever about something...? ).

EDIT:  yeah, it's just Live working against my expectations (all this time and I've never dragged in .wavs from outside the working project!)  Works fine in Reaper with me operating in bonehead-mode.  Um... guess I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong.  n/m.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:14:06 PM by Jay Reynolds »

Offline Jay Reynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 05:03:44 PM »
btw, have you tried "collect all and save" with live?  I've tried that with T-Proc.  Seems to work well.  An issue, aside from requiring Live, is that not everybody owns the same 3rd party plugins - so, any parts that are effects driven need to be baked out.  Oh, another issue is that the collected archive can be pretty hefty (but no bigger than the total of all .wav files as separate stems).

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:06:53 PM by Jay Reynolds »

Offline Ollie Rankin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »
Live usually does try and do something smart and it's seldom quite as smart as it thinks it is. For instance it has probably miscalculated the bpm (which should be exactly 94.0) and put in a bunch of warp markers and is slightly re-timing the clips. In fact I just did what you described and it did do exactly that.

If you toggle off the "Warp" switch in the Sample section of the properties panel and set Start to 0 0 0 in each case, they will all line up like they're supposed to.

And yes, I think it's a good idea to bundle the whole Live project up and offer it as a separate download.

Offline Jay Reynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 05:29:32 PM »
Cool - thanks, Ollie!

Offline Fox Paw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »
Hey, can you upload the separates of your second mix. I'm doing a dubstep/dubhop remix of the song and need some of the vocals from the second one.

I will re-pitch your voice in the song. Is that fair game?

Offline Ollie Rankin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:33:38 AM »
Absolutely. Go ahead. Mess with it as much as you want to. The first verse is the only part where the vocals are different in the second mix. It is four different repetitions of the verse in different tracks, trimmed here and there so they aren't all going the whole way thru. The original recording that includes all 4 repetitions is already available here

I can write out the 4 cut up tracks separately though if that's what you need.

Lemme know